Learning Objectives–At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- understand how our experiences occur (or do not occur) because of the privilege we may or may not have experienced.
- understand the differences of experiences in the group we engage in this exercise with.
This exercise is to get you thinking about where you have unearned privilege and where you don’t. It has been adapted from a Training for Change exercise
In a group setting this exercise has people take a step forward or a step back depending on if the identity applies to them.
The goals of this exercise is to:
- build awareness of the variety of rank and privilege that are present in a group or workshop
- assist individuals to take their next step in coming to terms with their own rank and privilege or lack of it
- invite participants to learn to be allies and motivate them to do so.
Below is is list if identities. if the characteristic matches your experiences click on +1. If it doesn’t click on -1.
There are no right or wrong answers. Also this is based on how you identify, not how others identify you.
[frontend-checklist name=”Power Shuffle”]
The score is not really important. What is important is that you may have identified areas where you may experience privilege. The question now is: how will you use your privilege to be an ally for those who are marginalised? For more information on this, please see the How To Be An Ally module
Training For Change. (n.d.). Power Shuffle. Retrieved February 9, 2015, from https://www.trainingforchange.org/tools/power-shuffle